Solstice Scents
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When our birds flew the coop

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Solstice Scents
Admin
Solstice Scents

When our birds flew the coop Empty
PostSubject: When our birds flew the coop   When our birds flew the coop EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 5:15 pm

Last week we had a lovely situation where we went to run an errand and came home around twilight to find our Buff Orpington hen, Bessie, stumbling around looking for a place to hide/roost for the evening. If you didn't know, chickens can't see at night so at dusk, they will always make their way back to the coop to turn in safely for the evening.

We built an extension to our run where they can kind of free range during the day instead of being "cooped up" (har har). We found a segment that they must have squeezed through before dusk and then they couldn't find how to get back in. With the approaching darkness our two Black Star hens went to find a place to roost, leaving Bessie behind.

We searched for 2 hours, in the dark, with flashlights trying to find our birds. Never did it dawn on us that they would be REALLY high in a tree on the other side of our privacy fence. I was a wreck. I knew a hawk couldn't have got them because 2 birds were missing with no evidence of foul play (or fowl play <knee slap>). We deduced that we'd already searched as best we could and that all we could do is be up first thing in the morning and hope we could find them safe. Of course, I was miserable with this plan but we really didn't have much of a choice.

The next morning, we discovered them high up in the tree above their coop. I'd never seen them fly other than on to a knee high fence we have around our garden so it was pretty fascinating to see what they managed. They were perfectly safe and we haven't had any trouble since, though we did find them perched on the new run fence this morning and we hope they don't make a habit out of that. The whole point of the extended run is so they can still go out but that we can prevent them from destroying all the fall crops we are getting ready to plant.

If you look in the picture below in approximately the middle, you will see a copper head with black body poking out of the tree. That's Foxcroft! Just a bit below her is a black hole/shadow looking thing but that is Blackie perching. I got a pic of one flying back into the yard but it came out blurry. I had to make this pic pretty large so you could see the birds.

When our birds flew the coop Img_0514

In case you're having trouble seeing her, this blurry pic is uploaded since a lot more of her copper head and neck are showing. Look in approx the middle of the pic:

When our birds flew the coop Img_0515

That was some excitement I could do without but now that it's over, it was pretty hilarious to see them so high in the tree and we trudged our entire yard for 2 hours thinking they'd be somewhere slightly less....high.
Back to top Go down
http://www.solsticescents.com
sweetgardenangel

sweetgardenangel

PostSubject: Back Home Again!   When our birds flew the coop EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi Angela,
Glad to see that your birds are now safe and sound. I sure didn't know chickens can fly up into trees! That is amazing. But they are really smart, and not bird-brains at all...since they knew they would be safer off the ground where there is plenty more animals could prey upon them. Poor things. They are getting adjusted to their new home, and sometimes those kinks just have to be worked out. I can identify. Daisy and her goofball kinks!
albino
Back to top Go down
alicious

alicious

PostSubject: Re: When our birds flew the coop   When our birds flew the coop EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 12:16 pm

I had no idea chickens could do that! Laughing

I am glad they are safe and that they had a good time watching you and G hunt for them. I'm sure it was quite the morning's entertainment in Chicken Town!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When our birds flew the coop   When our birds flew the coop Empty

Back to top Go down

When our birds flew the coop
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Solstice Scents :: General Discussion :: General Discussion-
Jump to: