HomeCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Share | 
 

 Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
katmish

avatar

Posts : 52
Join date : 2011-09-26
Age : 61
Location : southwestern Virginia

PostSubject: Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)   Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:00 pm

I work with soil (aka "dirt"!) and have my hands in water often so I really need a good hand cream during the winter to prevent my hands from cracking and hurting. Any recommendations? I like ganache a lot but I'm looking for something a little more intensive.

Please note - if at all possible, I buy products that are not tested on animals. cat
Back to top Go down
alicious

avatar

Posts : 169
Join date : 2011-09-25
Age : 104
Location : Colorado

PostSubject: Re: Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)   Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:06 pm

The Body Shop's hemp hand cream is the best I've ever found. It kept my hands from cracking in the winter after a week with twin babies having diarrhea and all of the hand washing that ensued. (Sorry for the TMI; I'm just saying the stuff works.)

It smells of oakmoss which isn't entirely my bag, but I'm used to it now. It also goes on sale a few times a year, which is when I buy it, as it is overpriced IMO. 1.5 full sized tubes last me a winter.
Back to top Go down
katmish

avatar

Posts : 52
Join date : 2011-09-26
Age : 61
Location : southwestern Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)   Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:01 pm

Thanks so much for the recommendation (and definitely not TMI - it was helpful!) I haven't purchased anything from the Body Shop in a long time but they had things I really liked at one point, so I'll check it out.
Back to top Go down
alicious

avatar

Posts : 169
Join date : 2011-09-25
Age : 104
Location : Colorado

PostSubject: Re: Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)   Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:59 pm

I'm glad I could help! pirat <-----I also just wanted to use this smilie.
Back to top Go down
sweetgardenangel

avatar

Posts : 85
Join date : 2011-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)   Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:15 pm

alicious wrote:
The Body Shop's hemp hand cream is the best I've ever found. It kept my hands from cracking in the winter after a week with twin babies having diarrhea and all of the hand washing that ensued. (Sorry for the TMI; I'm just saying the stuff works.)

It smells of oakmoss which isn't entirely my bag, but I'm used to it now. It also goes on sale a few times a year, which is when I buy it, as it is overpriced IMO. 1.5 full sized tubes last me a winter.

I must say you are shockingly adorable for being 99 and having twins! Laughing
Back to top Go down
alicious

avatar

Posts : 169
Join date : 2011-09-25
Age : 104
Location : Colorado

PostSubject: Re: Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)   Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:18 pm

sweetgardenangel wrote:
alicious wrote:
The Body Shop's hemp hand cream is the best I've ever found. It kept my hands from cracking in the winter after a week with twin babies having diarrhea and all of the hand washing that ensued. (Sorry for the TMI; I'm just saying the stuff works.)

It smells of oakmoss which isn't entirely my bag, but I'm used to it now. It also goes on sale a few times a year, which is when I buy it, as it is overpriced IMO. 1.5 full sized tubes last me a winter.

I must say you are shockingly adorable for being 99 and having twins! Laughing
It's all of the brains I eat to keep my green skin. They also help keep me feeling young. alien

(Actually, you can't put in a birthdate without choosing a year, so 1912 was as good as any.)
Back to top Go down
sweetgardenangel

avatar

Posts : 85
Join date : 2011-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)   Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:21 pm

alicious wrote:
sweetgardenangel wrote:
alicious wrote:
The Body Shop's hemp hand cream is the best I've ever found. It kept my hands from cracking in the winter after a week with twin babies having diarrhea and all of the hand washing that ensued. (Sorry for the TMI; I'm just saying the stuff works.)

It smells of oakmoss which isn't entirely my bag, but I'm used to it now. It also goes on sale a few times a year, which is when I buy it, as it is overpriced IMO. 1.5 full sized tubes last me a winter.

I must say you are shockingly adorable for being 99 and having twins! Laughing
It's all of the brains I eat to keep my green skin. They also help keep me feeling young. alien

(Actually, you can't put in a birthdate without choosing a year, so 1912 was as good as any.)


lol! laugh of the day Basketball
Back to top Go down
katmish

avatar

Posts : 52
Join date : 2011-09-26
Age : 61
Location : southwestern Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)   Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:28 pm

Quote :
(Actually, you can't put in a birthdate without choosing a year, so 1912 was as good as any.)

Thanks for *that* tip also - I had my real age in for a while but it was too in my face. I'd much prefer to be 99!

Also, thanks again for the Body Shop Hemp idea - I just ordered some of that and some of their wild rose hand cream (I really like rose scents so don't care if that one works as well as the hemp). I agree that the Body Shop is overpriced now - I was a bit shocked, honestly - but they are having a buy one, get one 1/2 off, or buy 3 get one free, etc. sale, so it wasn't a bad deal.

P.S. if anyone else has hand cream recommendations, I'd be happy to hear them!
Back to top Go down
SolsticeScholar

avatar

Posts : 221
Join date : 2011-09-25
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)   Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:06 pm

I really like Weleda's Skin Food cream as a hand cream. You can use it anywhere on your body, but I like it best for hands. It is very rich, seals in the moisture, but is not greasy. It has a very nice, but not overpowering lavender and orange scent, and is scented with essential oils. You can find it at health food stores and I believe Weleda is also carried at Target now. Also, the Weleda range is not tested on animals and is basically all-natural. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
katmish

avatar

Posts : 52
Join date : 2011-09-26
Age : 61
Location : southwestern Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)   Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:21 pm

SolsticeScholar wrote:
I really like Weleda's Skin Food cream as a hand cream. You can use it anywhere on your body, but I like it best for hands. It is very rich, seals in the moisture, but is not greasy. It has a very nice, but not overpowering lavender and orange scent, and is scented with essential oils. You can find it at health food stores and I believe Weleda is also carried at Target now. Also, the Weleda range is not tested on animals and is basically all-natural. Hope this helps.

I like Weleda's wild rose and sea buckthorn oils but have never tried their skin food - it sounds wonderful! I think they make good products. Thanks much for the recommendation. I noticed the other day that the Target store here (it's a pretty small town - or at least I think so!) sells weleda now.

P.S. I saw on another post that you are working on your dissertation? Hope that's going very well. I work at a university (albeit in a scientific field, as you may have guessed), so I know many people who have done/are doing that.
Back to top Go down
lyeneia

avatar

Posts : 40
Join date : 2011-09-25
Age : 41
Location : Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)   Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:25 pm

i like the intensive hand creme and organic hand salve by french girl organics @ etsy and also i'm a big-huge-rabid fan of all things rainwater botanicals. (also available @ esty unless you're lucky enough to live in oregon, then you can find them in some local stores.) if you go in my bathroom you're pretty much going to see two labels, SS, and RWB. the proprieter there, Sara, is a jewel. theres a great assortment of lotions, balms and butters (i love them all and it's also where all my facial products come from) but i'm never ever without a fresh jar of intensive repair cream for face and body (yes, it actually IS great on the face too, im a greasy girl who normally would never dare, but i can testify.) and also the shea butter belly cream, i'm long past my pregnant belly days, but it's awesome stuff, especially on cracked feet. she makes a great cuticle balm, but i like to use the goldenseal tattoo balm for my cuticles (and 100 other things) and my husband threw out the drawer of worthless psoriasis prescription creams he had when i got him her grape root and goldenseal relief cream.

all products in both stores are organic/responsibly obtained/cruelty free/french girl is totally vegan and RWB is mostly vegan. both proprietors are lovely, very funny women who, like Angela can't wait to answer questions about their products and are really generous with samples etc.

anyway, for recommendations that's what i've got. i use ganache every day but i also use these because i crochet and shovel snow in chicago, LOL. (just so Angela won't think i'm not loving me some ganache!)

-lye
Back to top Go down
SolsticeScholar

avatar

Posts : 221
Join date : 2011-09-25
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)   Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks for the recommendations! I just started getting to RWB and was in need of a good suggestion for a hand/body cream. I am loving their intensive eye cream and intensive facial serum/oil. Smile
Back to top Go down
katmish

avatar

Posts : 52
Join date : 2011-09-26
Age : 61
Location : southwestern Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)   Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:27 pm

Yes - many thanks! I'd never heard of either company so am glad to check them out.

I've found that the Body Shop Hemp hand cream recommended earlier really works, but I'm always looking for another good hand cream.
Back to top Go down
lyeneia

avatar

Posts : 40
Join date : 2011-09-25
Age : 41
Location : Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)   Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:44 pm

the body shop multinational corp is definitely not for me. i have some moral and ethical concerns with the company and you've got to keep too close an eye on the labels. most of the products are irradiated, and when you aren't having to split hairs between this or that benefit, you realize most of it is not as natural as one would like. even LUSH does a better job on that end of it.

scholar, there's basically nothing at RWB not worth trying. i'm on the long march to own the store and i love everything. you HAVE to try the moroccan red clay soap, it's supposed to be a body bar, but in addition to smelling incredible, is simply awesome as a gentle facial soap. i alternate it with the healing earth bar. there's also a new northwoods bar, haven't tried it yet but it should be right up your alley.

also the last couple of months i've gotten some really great stuff at an etsy shop called wash away the day. really loving the cocoa rosie and cardamom lotions and woodland aftershave (on my man, and i've even used it as a décolleté toner) plan to head back over before too long.

cheers! lye-
Back to top Go down
SolsticeScholar

avatar

Posts : 221
Join date : 2011-09-25
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)   Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:40 pm

You are bad, Lyeneia! I just placed a RWB order and got several of your suggestions. Smile
Back to top Go down
SolsticeScholar

avatar

Posts : 221
Join date : 2011-09-25
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)   Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Lyeneia, have you tried any of the perfume oils from RWB? Are there any you would recommend?
Back to top Go down
lyeneia

avatar

Posts : 40
Join date : 2011-09-25
Age : 41
Location : Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)   Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:49 am

SolsticeScholar wrote:
You are bad, Lyeneia! I just placed a RWB order and got several of your suggestions. Smile

to the bone, but one supposes it can't be helped Twisted Evil

lye-
Back to top Go down
 
Hand cream recommendations (besides ganache!)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Solstice Scents :: General Discussion :: General Discussion-
Jump to: