Join date: 2011-09-25
|Subject: Indian-Spiced Lentils, Tomatoes, and Kale with Brown Rice (vegan and gluten free) Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:40 pm|| |
Here is another easy yet delicious recipe:
Indian-Spiced Lentils, Tomatoes, and Kale with Brown Rice (vegan and gluten free)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons garam masala (For reference, I used Penzy's)
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
1 cup red lentils
1 cup brown rice
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1. Cook brown rice according to package directions or in rice cooker.
2. Add 1 cup lentils to 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 8 minutes, or until tender and water is absorbed. Set aside.
3. Saute onion and garlic in sunflower oil until translucent.
4. Add garam masala and cook for a few minutes to release flavor.
5. Add tomatoes with juice and vegetable broth. Simmer mixture until liquid has thickened into a nice sauce.
6. Incorporate cooked lentils into tomato mixture.
7. Incorporate kale and heat through until kale is just wilted (the kale should be soft but not overcooked. You want it to retain a bright green color).
8. Add salt and pepper to taste. If you would like a spicier dish you can add cayenne or red pepper flakes.
9. Serve lentil, tomato, and kale mixture in bowls over brown rice.
If you make this, please let me know what you think. This dish is simple, yet substantial, as the combination of lentils and brown rice makes a complete protein.
Join date: 2011-09-11
|Subject: Re: Indian-Spiced Lentils, Tomatoes, and Kale with Brown Rice (vegan and gluten free) Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:04 pm|| |
This sounds like another winner, SS!! I love Indian flavors and all of the ingredients in this recipe so will have to give this one a go!