Solstice Scents
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013)

Go down 
+5
Kykirsu
rinster
Rob
The Peach
Solstice Scents
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Solstice Scents
Admin
Solstice Scents

MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013) Empty
PostSubject: MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013)   MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013) EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 12:08 am

MIDNIGHT OIL
Cocoa Absolute, Blood Orange EO, Yellow Mandarin EO, Aged Patchouli EO, Labdanum Absolute, Coffee EO & Mushroom Absolute - 5ml

Offered as a Sugared Amber Scrub as part of the Autumn Collection 2012 and debuted as a 100% natural premium 5 ml perfume in perfumer's alcohol in spring 2013

SHAKE PERFUME BEFORE EACH USE AS PRODUCT WILL SETTLE

Perfume Description: Midnight Oil was originally offered as a scrub in our autumn collection. I have formulated this scent to be enjoyed as a perfume. It is solely comprised of essential oils and absolutes. It is a deep, earthy, rich and citrusy fragrance. The cocoa, patchouli and mushroom absolute provide a dark, dank base for the bright blood orange and mandarin essential oils. A touch of labdanum adds a subtle sticky resinous quality to the scent. The cocoa and chocolatey-earthy smelling mushroom absolute combine with the orange to lend this scent a strong gourmand quality while the aged patchouli adds a deep musky and sooty character. The coffee EO in this blend is very subtle and works to add to the rich base.

The blood orange and mandarin oils give a citrusy burst to the initial application. The citrus is prominent for about 20 minutes or so. The dry down is dark, earthy and sweet with a slight hint of citrus. This fragrance contains a very small amount of tonka bean absolute as a fixative.

Midnight Oil is blended in perfumer's alcohol. Please shake gently before each use as the cocoa absolute will settle to the bottom. A few shakes will quickly and easily disperse the scent evenly. Unisex.

Cocoa absolute may stain lighter colored clothing and skin. When applying perfume, rub perfume in quickly as it is easier to work into skin with less chance of staining.

Scrub Description: In use, the Midnight Oil blooms in the shower with a burst of earthy/Incensey orange. Huffing yourself during use IS advised. It does not leave behind much of a lingering fragrance, unless you use it a few times in one area, then it seems to leave a subtle scent behind. Therefore, you can move on to other fragranced products out of the shower. It's mouthwatering: foody, yet dark! The rich warm tan color of this scrub comes solely from the essential oils used. Cocoa absolute, patchouli and mushroom absolute are all very dark oils.

MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013) Midnig10

Last edited by Solstice Scents on Wed May 08, 2013 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.solsticescents.com
The Peach

PostSubject: Re: MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013)   MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013) EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 1:24 am

On first sniff, this smelled a lot like a Tootsie Roll! But with more of a citrus scent too it. I would call this a sweet, dark scent. You can definitely smell the cocoa in it, along with the orange and mandarin. I was a bit unsure when I ordered this about how the mushroom was going to smell. It is not a note I can really put my finger on in Midnight Oil. I'm assuming it must add to the earthy-ness of the fragrance. Overall I really like this fragrance and I'm happy I ordered it!
Back to top Go down
Rob

Rob

PostSubject: Re: MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013)   MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013) EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 11:45 am

OMG, this is most likely my favorite scrub of all from Solstice Scents ever! I think Angela's scrubs are some of the best around. Too many times, when I use a scrub, it ends up being hard or falls apart as I'm using it and half of it ends up on the tub floor. With Angela's... the consistency of her scrubs is much more "creamy" (that's night the right word for it) and it stays together very well. This scent MORPHS in the shower! Initial sniff out of the jar is amazingly gourmand with a hint of something behind it. It smells like the finest chocolate covered orange with some (as Angela calls it) earthiness to it. In the shower, the earthiness becomes much more prevalent... the patchouli and mushroom (I think, I can't actually decipher the mushroom note) "bloom", but the chocolate and orange are still there. I think Angela should have labeled this scent as one of her "dual scents" that would appeal to both foodies and non-foodies, because this non-foodie LOVES it!!

I would LOVE to see this scent offered in other mediums!

Back to top Go down
rinster

rinster

PostSubject: Re: MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013)   MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 8:01 pm

I just noticed I never reviewed this! I'm a ho for scrubs and this one was a favorite. The combo of orange and funky shroom patchouli may sound odd, but I loved it. I love creative pairing of opposites and the perky orange vs. dank rootiness was a study of inspired contrast. I'd love this as a perfume, too.
Back to top Go down
Solstice Scents
Admin
Solstice Scents

PostSubject: Re: MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013)   MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 8:09 pm

You may be getting your wish, sometime after spring release. Smile *whistles*
Back to top Go down
http://www.solsticescents.com
rinster

rinster

PostSubject: Re: MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013)   MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 10:27 pm

Woo hoo! (runs off to sell some pints of blood)
Back to top Go down
Kykirsu

Kykirsu

PostSubject: Re: MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013)   MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013) EmptyThu May 09, 2013 10:16 pm

Got Midnight Oil as a sample and you know what, I was pleasantly surprised!

I really didnt want to get this perfume because the aged patchouli, coffee essential oil and mushroom threw me off. But luckily, I'm the type that likes to try new things. Plus it's labeled under fruits & citrus and I really love the other three scents under the category as well (Blossom Jame, Chantily and Chiffon).

On first sniff, I got the scent of cocoa and citrus.

Apply (while still wet) I got the dark, dank musk smell that smells great actually. Not overpowering at all.

As it dried, after 10 minutes - I got a burst of sweet citrus.

After one hour, a light scent of musky citrus.

The more I sniff my wrist, the more I am falling in love with Midnight Oil. Cool
Back to top Go down
Harvest

PostSubject: Re: MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013)   MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013) EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 12:00 am

Popping in to add the link to my review: http://scenthussy.blogspot.com/2013/05/solstice-scents-midnight-oil.html

This is a clear winner for me. I know some people that adored Jack and the Devil, and I have a feeling they are going to love this one too. I can't wait for them to try it!

This is goooorgeous!
Back to top Go down
Ross W

PostSubject: Re: MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013)   MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013) EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 6:32 pm

When I first read the ingredients, I hoped the fragrance would match the description. It does in spades! It is a triumph and absolutely wonderful - worthy of any of the great perfume houses. Angela, if you have ever thought of taking on the big girls and boys, this is something that could do it. There are a number of chocolate/orange fragrances on the market at the moment, but you have carved out something absolutely unique. While Midnight briefly flirts with the gourmand, it dives back into an earth darkness with the mushroom and patchouli notes. It has a depth truly worthy of the name 'midnight'. You have very successfully highlighted the darker aspects of orange and mandarin, something that is not often done (this is the sort of fragrance where an "off" citrus note might be introduced for additional darkness as per my earlier musings). The cocoa absolute is my hearts desire - dark bitter and chocolately with nothing sweet. The coffee adds depth and resonance but does not dominate. I'm assuming that the patchouli is an earthy one as well. There is a 'quality' to this fragrance that speaks to me on so many levels. It is not just limited to the quality of the raw ingredients, the careful way they have been selected to compliment or contrast with each other but there is a quality of spirit and sheer artistic endeavour that shines. There is a tonal effect that is both sombre and serious, but the sheer enjoyment I get from Midnight lifts both the fragrance and my spirit in a way that is 'satisfying', like a good meal is satisfying. It makes me feel replete. I want to come back for more but am sated in the present.
Back to top Go down
snowy

snowy

PostSubject: Love the Sugar Scrub   MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013) EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 5:06 pm

Midnight Oil makes a fantastic sugar scrub. I find the scent more enjoyable in this formulation actually - and totally love using it. The scrub itself is wonderful!!! I will be repurchasing <3 Thank you for making these essential oil blends for me <3
Back to top Go down
LittleBird

LittleBird

PostSubject: Re: MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013)   MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013) EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 11:23 am

I have this in perfume form and it doesn't work for me at all. The citrus notes are very sharp, sour and bitter on my skin, and smell wrong paired with the dirty, earthy notes. The whole thing has a sort of medicinal bitterness to it that even the sweet chocolate note can't seem to settle down. My husband said it smells like "sour and vitamins," which is pretty accurate for me, lol. It does smell rather like iron-y vitamins, the most bitter citrus, and maybe soiled hay on my skin? Not good.
Back to top Go down
rinster

rinster

PostSubject: Re: MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013)   MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013) EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 8:20 pm

While I loved this as a scrub, the perfume didn't work out for me. I like the orange/chocolate combo, but the patch gives it a slightly medicinal/menthol vibe. Since patch mellows with age, maybe this will smooth out with some patience. If you love strong and dirty patch, though, you'll probably love this fresh!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013)   MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013) Empty

Back to top Go down

MIDNIGHT OIL (Dark Spring 2013)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Solstice Scents :: Solstice Scents Topics :: SS Scent Reviews & Reference-
Jump to: