Solstice Scents
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
StarSylvie

StarSylvie

Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia? Empty
PostSubject: Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia?   Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 6:58 pm

SLEEPLESS IN GAINESVILLE... COULD PETITGRAIN HELP? confused

I've got a question regarding Summer Garden Perfume. Has anyone noticed if it helps with insomnia? I'm not nuts! Please read what follows and you'll understand why I ask!

I get on-and-off insomnia and, while reading a book titled The Scent Trail: How One Woman's Quest for the Perfect Perfume Took Her Around the World by Celia Lyttelton, the author writes: "I wanted to try petitgrain for its aromatherapeutic properties, one of which is the alleviation of insomnia." [i]She goes on to say that "There are several classifications of petitgrain otto. Petitgrain douce comes from the leaves and grains of sweet oranges, petitgrain limon comes from the lemon tree, while the petitgrain bigaradi is from the bitter Seville orange."

I searched the Solstice Scents site for "petitgrain" and Summer Garden Perfume came up. Angela, is this the only fragrance that contains petitgrain?

I've also placed this post under the Summer Garden Perfume Topic.
Back to top Go down
katmish

katmish

PostSubject: Re: Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia?   Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 9:04 pm

StarSylvie, the only essential oil that I've found helps me with insomnia is chamomile (either German or Roman, but I think German is supposed to be the best. I am fortunate enough to have both so I use a blend). Neither of them smells great as a pure essential oil, but I've become used to the smell and kind of like it now. Rubbing either German chamomile or Roman chamomile on my hand and feet helps a lot with insomnia. Angela's "Quiet Night" is a chamomile/lavender blend that is a pretty good remedy also, but straight chamomile works better for me.

Angela may want to say more about this because I think she knows far more about aromatherapy than I do!

P.S. I have (and really like) Summer Garden, but I find petitgrain, and most other citrus scents, to be more energizing than soothing. I'm sure it's different for everyone, though.
Back to top Go down
StarSylvie

StarSylvie

PostSubject: Re: Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia?   Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 10:40 am

Katmish, thank you so much for responding to my post! I'm very grateful for the detailed response.

I'd forgotten about chamomile. I will definitely give it a try. The Aura Cacia essential oils are available in Gainesville. I can easily find out the source of the chamomile in their oil. The SS Quiet Night may not be for me as I'm not a fan of lavender.

How interesting that you find citrus scents energizing. I, too, find that they invigorate me as opposed to calming me!

Thank you, again. I really appreciate your suggestions! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Solstice Scents
Admin
Solstice Scents

PostSubject: Re: Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia?   Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 1:34 pm

Hi Sylive! Hi katmish! Thank you for responding to Sylvie. I agree completely re: citrus typically being used for uplifting, mood boosting and energizing properties. However, petitgrain, neroli and mandarin are known to have some insomnia combating capabilities. Lavender and chamomile are the most well known fragrances for insomnia, however, and are commonly accepted as being the most beneficial. Sylvie, I think you liked Courtyard. That has a boat load of lavender absolute and you might find that more pleasant than the more astringent essential oils. The lavender in Quiet Night is pretty potent. I prefer the scent of Roman Chamomile to that of German and find that the Roman Chamomile has a beautiful, sweet, almost apple-like note mixed with a touch of hay. I love the scent! The Roman smells more to me like chamomile tea tastes or chamomile blossoms smell, if you've ever smelled those.

I find that melatonin is the thing that helps me most. Taken an hour before bed when necessary, it helps me sleep through the night. Not taking vitamin supplements with dinner is also recommended as B vitamins are energizing. Skullcap is my favorite herb for relaxing as well. 1 Tbsp in a cup of hot water for a good 10 minutes. Drink it straight down, just before bed, and it's like an herbal tranquilizer. But no groggy feeling the next day or anything. Chamomile tea is supposed to help but I've not had success with it. Valerian also is a stronger herbal but I abhor the smell and taste. Skullcap tastes astringent but I've found it works better. They sell it loose at Mother Earth. The melatonin is really the best bet for me though. And it is not habit forming so you can take it as needed to help regulate your sleep cycle, then stop taking it for a while and use it if you need to. I know you're a coffee-holic too and I have only been drinking it in the a.m. or it throws off my adrenals and everything for later in the day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.solsticescents.com
Harvest

PostSubject: Re: Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia?   Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 4:17 pm

Solstice Scents wrote:
I prefer the scent of Roman Chamomile to that of German and find that the Roman Chamomile has a beautiful, sweet, almost apple-like note mixed with a touch of hay. I love the scent! The Roman smells more to me like chamomile tea tastes or chamomile blossoms smell, if you've ever smelled those.

Not to derail the subject, but is this used in Witch's Cottage? One reason I love the whipped soap so much is that upon lathering I got the most wonderful chamomile blossom smell. I grew up in Colorado and used to hike a lot in the mountains. One of my favorite things was coming across chamomile and getting a blossom or two to sniff (and eventually crumble in my fingers so I could release the whole scent). Witch's Cottage brought all of that back to me, and I don't know if it was the memory or the scent or both but it immediately had me relaxing and breathing easier. It is such a beautiful chamomile scent. Love.
Back to top Go down
StarSylvie

StarSylvie

PostSubject: Re: Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia?   Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia? EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 12:15 pm

Hi Angela! Thank you for your response. You've given me great information!

Ages ago, my chiropractor suggested melatonin for insomnia. I'd forgotten all about it. Thank you for mentioning it. I think this will be the best thing for me.

Regarding fragrance, I also feel that citrus is invigorating, but I was very curious about your Summer Garden Perfume because the author of the book I'm reading mentioned the petitgrain for insomnia and your scent contains petitgrain. I'm probably wrong, but after reading the book's section on petitgrain, I came away with the impression that it's mostly used in the citrus scents. If that's the case, then it's very odd that these scents would work for "the sleepless!" But, hey, maybe it's worth a try.

I happen to love chamomile and I didn't know that there are different types. I'll keep the Roman Chamomile in mind.

I have, unfortunately, grown to really dislike lavender. This doesn't mean I won't use fragrances with lavender--it depends on how the scent is blended. If the lavender doesn't have a real strong presence, then I'm perfectly fine with it. And Angela, you're right, I did like Courtyard.

As for my coffee--that nectar of the gods--I still drink it, however, I drink MUCH less than I used to: one cup in the morning (so I can function!) and one cup in the afternoon (about 3 PM).

I have never suffered from insomnia, however, it's a common thing in women "over a certain age"--that would be me, the "older" Sylvie (but still rockin'!). I live with monumental stress due to my parents' rapidly declining, and horrendous, health, and that's playing a huge part in all this lack of sleep.

Well, Angela, I'm really grateful for the suggestions! As always, you're a treasure trove of knowledge! I send you Hugs, sweetie!
Back to top Go down
StarSylvie

StarSylvie

PostSubject: Re: Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia?   Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia? EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 10:58 am

Below are the ingredients contained in a misting spray that is to be used as a sleep aid. This is from an ETSY vendor. I've posted it because I notice that it contains citrus, and I, along with some of you, think that citrus would be "invigorating." Maybe not. This misting spray also contains neroli, which I understand is recommended as a sleep aid. It doesn't contain petitgrain (which is the ingredient that got me started on this whole thread), and it contains lavender (UGH!). Anyway, I thought it was interesting. Perhaps citrus can help with sleep after all!? confused

Ingredients: lavender floral water, distilled spirits, dreamy essential oil blend [marjoram (origanum majorana), neroli (citrus aurantium), orange (citrus sinensis), tangerine (citrus reticulata), green spikenard (nardostachys jatamansi), ylang ylang (cananga odorata)]

Directions: Shake well with each use. Mist lightly on pillow/sheets before bed. Spray into air to promote feelings of relaxation.
Back to top Go down
Solstice Scents
Admin
Solstice Scents

PostSubject: Re: Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia?   Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia? EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 2:05 pm

Hi Sylvie, I think to eliminate some of the confusion I should have mentioned the following: When people think of invigorating citrus scents, it's more about orange essential oil, lemon EO, grapefruit EO and lime EO for the most part. Typically, these oils are extracted from the peel and sometimes steam distillation of the fruit itself.

Petitgrain is extracted from the twigs and leaves of the bitter orange tree that orange blossom (neroli) comes from. The neroli is the scent of the flowers themselves. So neither of these should be considered a citrus oil, though they do come from the citrus tree. It's kind of like how cilantro and coriander are the same plant. I HATE the taste and smell of cilantro but I really enjoy coriander!

The only other scent I have with petitgrain is the Wren bath salts in the spring. This scent is not available in a leave on product but it is HEAVILY petitgrain scented.

Harvest, yes, there is some Roman Chamomile EO in Witch's Cottage. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.solsticescents.com
StarSylvie

StarSylvie

PostSubject: Re: Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia?   Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia? EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 2:17 pm

Angela, thank you! Now it makes sense! Embarassed I'm definitely going to try one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia?   Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia? Empty

Back to top Go down

Summer Garden Perfume--Can it help with Insomnia?
Page 1 of 1