Solstice Scents
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Scent of 2012?

Go down 
+2
Rob
Solstice Scents
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Solstice Scents
Admin
Solstice Scents

Favorite Scent of 2012? Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Scent of 2012?   Favorite Scent of 2012? EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 11:57 am

Out of all the seasonal collections and general catalog items available last year, I'm curious to know what your favorite scents were (returning scents you had not tried until 2012 or long standing general catalog scents that you tried for the first time work too). Really, I'm curious to know what stood out in 2012 for you, not necessarily what your favorite SS scent(s) is/are.

For new scents for 2012, my personal favorites that I wear frequently are:

Attic
Black Forest
Cascade of Gold
Courtyard
Kitchen
Library
Master Bedroom
Smoky Mountain Mallow

Back to top Go down
http://www.solsticescents.com
Rob

Rob

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Scent of 2012?   Favorite Scent of 2012? EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Ha!

Are you copying me Angela or what? Just kidding! I posted almost the same thing on the green yesterday!

Here's mine:

Attic
Library
Black Forest
Courtyard
Sirocco
Midnight Oil (that scrub is AMAZING and I think probably the best scrub I have ever used!)
Nightstar (2012 version- although I loved the 2011 version, this new one seems much more smoother on the patchouli.. richer)

Angela- it's so cool that you and I almost have the same exact favorites from last year! No wonder my obsession for Solstice Scents just keeps growing with each passing year! I love you

Thanks for sharing your incredible talents with us!

Back to top Go down
Solstice Scents
Admin
Solstice Scents

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Scent of 2012?   Favorite Scent of 2012? EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 12:23 pm

Whoa! I forgot Sirocco! Also I really love Midnight Oil and would love to make that into a perfume one day. It will have to go into perfumer's alcohol because of the cocoa. I'm sure it would smell more chocolatey as a perfume but we'll see! I can no longer get those cute 5 ml blue glass roll ons so will have to go with the clear ones if I'm going to continue the premium line though. Sad

I've been meaning to post this thread for a week but your post on green kicked me into gear! I saw your favorites yesterday but forgot what your list looked like so it's awesome to see how many we have in common. We have extremely similar taste though so not a huge surprise! <3
Back to top Go down
Liber Vix

Liber Vix

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Scent of 2012?   Favorite Scent of 2012? EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 1:30 pm

I would say my absolute favorites from the new scents of 2012 are (and it sort of pains me to leave anything out, as I liked the vast majority to some degree):

Library
Kitchen
Cascade of Gold
Black Forest
Cardamom Rose Sugar
Tropical Moon
Nightstar
Nightgown

And I'm probably forgetting something but that's it for now. I also suspect I will be adding SMM to the list when I get mine hopefully tomorrow. A, are you going to bring back Cascade of Gold in some form? I meant to get a full size and was just never able to get to it, and I've been kicking myself ever since.

Back to top Go down
http://libervix.blogspot.com/
SolsticeScholar

SolsticeScholar

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Scent of 2012?   Favorite Scent of 2012? EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Mine would be:

Attic
Library
Master Bedroom
Sirocco
Cascade of Gold
Vanilla Pipe Tobacco
Black Forest
Russian Caravan (2012 reformulation)

Unsurprisingly, my favorites pretty much echo Angela's and Rob's. I also love the Midnight Oil scrub and would love to see this in a perfume and/or whipped soap. I just got my bottle of Smoky Mountain Mallow today, but I already love it, so add that to my list as well. I'll try to post a full review on the forum, but omg is it complex and smells amazing at every stage of wear.

And Angela, I will be brokenhearted if you do not continue the premium line! As you can see, three of my most loved scents are premiums and I don't have a backup of Sirocco! I will be so sad if the ones I list above don't return. Maybe you can find the small blue bottles elsewhere, but if not I don't mind if they come in clear bottles. Also, I hope you are still considering releasing the premium cocoa scent you had mentioned awhile back that you said layered well with Vanilla Pipe Tobacco. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TheAnglican

TheAnglican

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Scent of 2012?   Favorite Scent of 2012? EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 2:25 am

New 2012 scents that I loved:

Chantilly Cream
Sirocco

(yeah, I'm a bit schizophrenic there, I know)

New to me in 2012:

Cenobite
Snowshoe Pass

Things that only came in salts that I particularly loved:

Apple Mallow
Wren
Back to top Go down
Rob

Rob

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Scent of 2012?   Favorite Scent of 2012? EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 11:02 am

Solstice Scents wrote:
Whoa! I forgot Sirocco! Also I really love Midnight Oil and would love to make that into a perfume one day. It will have to go into perfumer's alcohol because of the cocoa. I'm sure it would smell more chocolatey as a perfume but we'll see! I can no longer get those cute 5 ml blue glass roll ons so will have to go with the clear ones if I'm going to continue the premium line though. Sad

I've been meaning to post this thread for a week but your post on green kicked me into gear! I saw your favorites yesterday but forgot what your list looked like so it's awesome to see how many we have in common. We have extremely similar taste though so not a huge surprise! <3

Oh, I would LOVE Midnight Oil in a perfume... I love how the scrub really blooms in the shower and the patchouli comes out all of a sudden. It's fantastic!

That's a bummer about the little blue bottles, but to be honest... I wasn't too big of a fan of them. It seemed like the rollers weren't as nice as the bigger bottles and sometimes I'd have to roll and roll in order to get the fragrance to come out of the bottle.. especially with Courtyard, but that might have been a bum roller. LOL

I'd be fine with clear bottles... or even if you just filled them halfway and put them in the bigger bottles.. or filled them and charged double! LOL

And please... continue the Premium line!! Those scents are gorgeous!

Back to top Go down
Rob

Rob

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Scent of 2012?   Favorite Scent of 2012? EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 11:09 am

SolsticeScholar wrote:
Mine would be:

Attic
Library
Master Bedroom
Sirocco
Cascade of Gold
Vanilla Pipe Tobacco
Black Forest
Russian Caravan (2012 reformulation)

Unsurprisingly, my favorites pretty much echo Angela's and Rob's. I also love the Midnight Oil scrub and would love to see this in a perfume and/or whipped soap. I just got my bottle of Smoky Mountain Mallow today, but I already love it, so add that to my list as well. I'll try to post a full review on the forum, but omg is it complex and smells amazing at every stage of wear.

And Angela, I will be brokenhearted if you do not continue the premium line! As you can see, three of my most loved scents are premiums and I don't have a backup of Sirocco! I will be so sad if the ones I list above don't return. Maybe you can find the small blue bottles elsewhere, but if not I don't mind if they come in clear bottles. Also, I hope you are still considering releasing the premium cocoa scent you had mentioned awhile back that you said layered well with Vanilla Pipe Tobacco. Very Happy

SolsticeScholar!

It doesn't surprise me that we're liking the same scents either! I'm flipping over Smoky Mountain Mallow... I am (as Angela refers to it) marinating in it today... I LOVE how it morphs too.

Vanilla Pipe Tobacco is up there too with my favorites.. I forgot that one! Oh, and I really did like Chiffon too.

Question about Russian Caravan- you like the new version better? What is it about the new version that you like? I haven't worn it enough, but my first impressions were that I liked the older version better. The new one seemed to have a "bite" to it that didn't work for me. I'm going to have to try them both again and see. Smile

Nice to see you again!

Back to top Go down
SolsticeScholar

SolsticeScholar

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Scent of 2012?   Favorite Scent of 2012? EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 9:22 pm

It's nice to see you again as well, Rob.

My impressions of the new Russian Caravan is that it is actually less sharp than the previous. The original version is more sharply leather to me, whereas the reformulation is more balanced and the various notes play together more harmoniously. I think there is a better marriage between the leather, smoke, and fruit notes in the reformulation whereas in the original the leather was the dominant member of the group. I hope this helps and I would love to hear your impressions. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Solstice Scents
Admin
Solstice Scents

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Scent of 2012?   Favorite Scent of 2012? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 2:50 am

Liber Vix, yes I do want to bring back Cascade of Gold, so long as I can get my little bottles! I did finally find a source that is supposed to have the 5 ml clear glass with black caps, according to an email correspondence I had with the company I used to get the blue ones from. The manufacturer is different than the large roll ons so that is why they are different. Rob, I had the same issue with one of my rollers but not all. The weirdest thing is, on the one I had trouble with, if I just turned it upside down and slowly and gently rolled it, the liquid would come out fine. But rolling it vigorously wouldn't work at all! I hate that there has to be a "trick" to them but this was my first venture into the smaller bottles.

So with all of that being said, as long as I can get these bottles and the labels we have fit, I can bring back scents and make new ones! I have a rose/marshmallow premium I'm working on that I wanted to do for V-Day but due to the cost of the rose oil, it would have to be 5 ml or be way too expensive! G and I talked about filling the 10 ml half way but I am concerned that with all the oxygen/space left in the bottle that the perfume would oxidize (go rancid) faster! I also really want to be able to use the $300 label investment for the small bottles LOL! Midnight Oil and another rad blend I'm working on would both have to be premium due to component costs and the fact they would need to be in perfumer's alcohol since they contain cocoa ab taht is not soluble in oil. Same goes for the cocoa premium, Solstice Scholar. When I ran into bottle trouble the brakes were put on to this endeavor. The cocoa premium is a straightforward mix of two cocoa abs I use but it smells like deep rich sexy fudgy chocolate/cocoa and I thought it would be great as a single note offering for layering or to wear on its own.

Thanks for the feedback on SMM guys! It's one of my faves so far and I'm eager to see opinions on it. I love the dry down on it!

Re: Russian Caravan - I agree with you SolsticeScholar. I think the other blend was sharper and way more BLACK LEATHER and pungent. I reduced the amount of black leather so it wouldn't be so chemically. I also added a few notes like lapsang, guaiacwood and pink pepper to make the newer one a little more full bodied. I didn't think it was quite as biting either. Rob, you may be sensitive to one of the new notes in there that you think makes it a little more BAM. I am interested to hear your opinion on it though! I didn't hear too much about what folks thought on that reformulation so I like feedback.
Back to top Go down
Solstice Scents
Admin
Solstice Scents

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Scent of 2012?   Favorite Scent of 2012? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Update: Called and ordered a case of the clear glass 5 mL with black caps today. The dimensions seemed to be correct so fingers crossed our stickers will fit. Once I determine they are definitely good to go, I'll go ahead and order another case. For existing premium photos we'll indicate on the listing or via an inset photo of the clear bottle that these scents will be in clear and not blue. That way we don't have to set up all the scenes for things like Sirocco, Cascade of Gold, Cardamom Rose Sugar, etc again just because the bottles look different. The scenes take forever so will want to avoid that! For new scents, we'll probably go ahead and take the pics with the clear bottles and then also with the blue bottles because the company said they do hope to have the blue ones back one day. Hope that all makes sense!
Back to top Go down
amandabear

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Scent of 2012?   Favorite Scent of 2012? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 12:20 am

Kitchen! Kitchen kitchen kitchen. It's amazing. I also fell hard for Witch's Cottage this year and am sad to see that what's up now is the last of the stock - will it be discontinued for good once that's gone?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Scent of 2012?   Favorite Scent of 2012? Empty

Back to top Go down

Favorite Scent of 2012?
Page 1 of 1