Solstice Scents
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)

Go down 
+2
Solstice Scents
SolsticeScholar
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SolsticeScholar

SolsticeScholar

Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) Empty
PostSubject: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 9:30 pm

Ingredients:

* 2 Tbs. sunflower oil
* 1 medium carrot, diced
* 1 small yellow onion, diced
* 1 red or orange bell pepper, chopped (I prefer orange)
* 1 Tbs. whole cumin seeds
* 1 bay leaf, crumbled
* 2 16-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
* 1 32-oz. container butternut squash soup (I use Imagine organic--the best!)
* 1 cup quinoa (I use Alter Eco rainbow quinoa)

Directions:

1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion and carrot in oil 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Add bell pepper and sauté 3 to 5 minutes more, or until soft. Stir in cumin seeds and bay leaf.

2. Purée 3/4 cup chickpeas and 3/4 cup butternut squash soup in blender until smooth. Add to saucepan mixture along with remaining chickpeas and soup. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

3. Cook quinoa according to package directions. Place cooked quinoa in the bottom of each bowl and then ladle soup on top. Garnish with cilantro if desired.

Enjoy!

If you make this let me know what you think. I would also love to hear some of your favorite recipes. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Solstice Scents
Admin
Solstice Scents

Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 9:51 pm

WOW!!! This sounds delicious! I also love the Imagine brand Butternut Squash soup. They have a Creamy Broccoli (can't recall the exact name) that is delicious too.

I love the sound of this soup. Will definitely have to give this one a try.
Back to top Go down
http://www.solsticescents.com
SolsticeScholar

SolsticeScholar

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 10:23 pm

I think you and G will love it, and it literally took me under an hour to make!!!
Back to top Go down
Solstice Scents
Admin
Solstice Scents

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 12:36 pm

G picked up all the ingredients for this dish this morning and I'm thinking we're having it for dinner tonight. So excited!
Back to top Go down
Ayambik

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 3:33 pm

You know, I've never actually tried quinoa before, which is silly as it features in most vegan cookbooks I own. I'll have to pick up the ingredients for this next time I'm in the shop Smile
Back to top Go down
SolsticeScholar

SolsticeScholar

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 8:11 pm

Angela--Can't wait to hear how you like it!

Ayambik--Quinoa is great! I get bored with rice and I'm not a fan of cous cous. Quinoa is a great ingredient to have if you're bored and want to mix things up. And I'm sure you will enjoy the recipe--and it's so easy! Smile
Back to top Go down
Solstice Scents
Admin
Solstice Scents

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 8:12 pm

G is making this for me right now and I am SO EXCITED! I'll post after I try it!

Ayambik, Quinoa is very good but it is a little bland in my opinion so you really need it in a flavorful recipe like this one. I also like it cooked with lots of celery, carrots and onions!

edit - wow - we posted at the same time!
Back to top Go down
SolsticeScholar

SolsticeScholar

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 8:14 pm

Must be the psychic quinoa energy! I love you
Back to top Go down
Solstice Scents
Admin
Solstice Scents

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 10:11 pm

Synchquinicity?

I just ate a big bowl of the soup and it was divine! I used red and green bell pepper in lieu of orange (they are more affordable for us and I love green pepper) but that was the only deviation. I loved how hearty it was. It was filling but in the most comfortable way possible. A wonderful carbohydrate and protein balance. Enjoyed the sweetness the carrots and peppers and Butternut Squash soup imparted. Would definitely make it again! I had a spinach salad on the side and some sliced cucumbers, radishes and mushrooms. I am going to reheat it and have it for tomorrow's dinner. It was such a nice meal to feel full but not stuffed and I came away satisfied! I could add a little heat to it to spice it up but just a little so as not to mask the delicate flavors. The cumin seed was so good in here.
Back to top Go down
SolsticeScholar

SolsticeScholar

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 12:00 am

I'm so glad you enjoyed! I would try it with the green pepper, but for some reason green peppers upset my stomach! That is why I tend to go with the orange even though they are pricier, because they are more mild. As for the heat element, I imagine it would be really good with a generous pinch of crushed red pepper, cayenne, or some spicy curry power added. I am also going to experiment and try it with some fire-roasted tomatoes added into the mix. I'll try to post more recipes I think you and others will enjoy! I love you
Back to top Go down
debibob

debibob

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 12:31 am

Thanks for the recipe. I am going to try it tomorrow. I love that it is gluten, dairy, soy, and corn free as I can't have any of those. Sounds delicious! Are you gluten free or this just happens to be GF?
Back to top Go down
Samengage

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 7:53 am

Om nom nom!

SolsticeScholar, I made this earlier and it was delicious!
I actually made my own butternut squash soup yesterday, so I had a lot left over and thought I'd use it to try this recipe. I added some chilli for a spicy kick, and I used red peppers in place of orange because my supermarket was out of them. So good, and hearty.
Thank you for the recipe!

Back to top Go down
SolsticeScholar

SolsticeScholar

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:53 am

Debibob--I can't wait to hear what you think. I'm not 100% gluten free, but do try to avoid gluten most of the time, as well as soy. For the most part I follow a strict vegan diet (I will have honey sometimes because I believe it is beneficial) so I have many more recipes that are gluten, dairy, and soy free, which I can post when the inspiration strikes!

Samengage--I'm so glad you liked! I bet it was amazing with your homemade soup. Next time I will try adding some chili as you suggest, as I do love spicy!
Back to top Go down
alicious

alicious

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 2:37 pm

Yum! I will make this next weekend, only with couscous instead of quinoa (I'm allergic). The squash are all coming in from the garden, so this will be a lovely way to use some up!
Back to top Go down
debibob

debibob

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 2:26 pm

I made this today and had it for lunch-so delicious! I totally love it! This will become a regular in my house. I kn ow my husband will love it too. I did't even add salt and pepper as it was so flavorful. The cumin seeds are great in it. I agree with Angela-very filling and hearty-is a perfect fall meal, but will be great in the dead of winter here-warm and nuturing and satisfying. Thanks so much for this yummy recipe! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Solstice Scents
Admin
Solstice Scents

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 2:28 pm

I had the leftovers for this last night and it was even better the next day! Yes, the cumin tastes delicious. My tummy was happy because it is either allergic to or sensitive to so many things and this soup gave me no trouble whatsoever so I actually feel *good* after eating.
Back to top Go down
SolsticeScholar

SolsticeScholar

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 8:59 pm

Debibob--Yay! So glad you enjoyed it! Smile

Angela--Oh, good. I'm so glad it gave you no trouble. I can totally sympathize about having a sensitive stomach! I tried the Imagine broccoli soup that you recommended and it was delicious! Next time, I am going to have it along with your recipe for open-faced sandwiches! Yum! I love you
Back to top Go down
Solstice Scents
Admin
Solstice Scents

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 7:55 pm

Guess what I'm eating tonight!!! The Lightened Up Goddess Grain bowl and I am so excited! I did a sneak taste of the tahini dressing and OMG!!! I freaking love nutritional yeast so that was already a big draw. G just brought a sample in for me. I added a little cayenne because I like heat but it is delicious. I've never actually had spelt before and I like how hearty it tastes! This is a very hearty dish and it feels nice and healthy and satisfying. Great recommendation! I have a friend coming this weekend and I imagine we will be eating really poorly but if she doesn't come, I have kale leftover and I want to make alicious' kale and lentil pasta recipe with rice pasta!!!
Back to top Go down
SolsticeScholar

SolsticeScholar

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 9:07 pm

I'm so glad you got to make the grain bowl and enjoyed it! I should have mentioned that it is really delicious with Frank's original hot sauce (which is a cayenne pepper sauce, so your instinct to add this was spot on). Hmmm...I think I may make this tomorrow. I have also changed it up and used short grain brown rice instead of the spelt berries and mung beans instead of lentils. I love you
Back to top Go down
Solstice Scents
Admin
Solstice Scents

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 11:43 pm

Made a new batch of this tonight with added cayenne. YUM!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)   Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free) Empty

Back to top Go down

Easy and Delicious Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew with Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Soy Free)
Page 1 of 1