Solstice Scents
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Haus of Gloi?

Go down 
+7
deer4
Cats in the Cradle
Rob
OfTheAllies
debibob
Liber Vix
SolsticeScholar
11 posters
AuthorMessage
SolsticeScholar

SolsticeScholar

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 8:46 pm

While Solstice Scents is my number 1 love, I do occasionally like to try scents from other indie companies. I assume that some of you have tried Haus of Gloi. If so, what scents would you recommend? It seems that most of their scents are foody, but do they have anything good in the vanilla/incense/woods families? In particular, I was considering one of their LE Fall scents called Hedonic. Has anyone tried that one? Thanks so much! Smile
Back to top Go down
Liber Vix

Liber Vix

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 10:56 pm

The Haus of Gloi scents I've tried haven't been particularly dark. I sort of wish they had some darker, sexier scents. Honey Tree is interesting, it has a pretty sexy drydown, but the top note is not for everyone. I also like Vice which is a delicious coffee/chocolate blend. I also love Moon Dog, which a dry coconut/sandalwood scent. It is not tropical-beach-fruity-drink coconut, but more woodsy. Depravity starts out wine fruity, but is made a little darker by some clove and spice. Samhain also starts out a bright fresh green, but melts into a dry leaves and earth scent. Very nice. Actually, I go into everything I've tried in more detail on my blog...http://libervix.blogspot.com/2011/09/first-impressions-haus-of-gloi.html Surprised
Back to top Go down
http://libervix.blogspot.com/
SolsticeScholar

SolsticeScholar

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:46 am

Thanks, Liber Vix! Actually, I have already read your blog posts on HoG and they were one of the things that got me interested in their scents. Moon Dog is one of the scents that caught my eye, so I'm glad to hear your opinion of it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Liber Vix

Liber Vix

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 6:08 pm

Glad to help! sunny
Back to top Go down
http://libervix.blogspot.com/
debibob

debibob

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 9:13 pm

I like Hex, Pixie Sorcerer, and Salty Caramel. While I really like the scents and the quality is great, the scents do not last on me at all. They are very soft and hard to smell them on myself. I don't know if others have found this. I love SS because for me, they last and the scents are strong, which I love. Does anyone know if any of the scents last longer or happen to be stronger? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
OfTheAllies

OfTheAllies

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 12:07 am

Samhain is hands down my favorite scent I've tried from Haus of Gloi. I'm kind of a sucker for scents that remind me of dead leaves and dirt (Foxcroft is my favorite SS perfume). Though its not as literal as Foxcroft (Samhain is more herbal and colder... if that makes sense), it does give me the distinct impression of late Fall/early Winter. Since samples of the oil weren't available by the time I made a Halloween purchase, I picked up a sample of the bubbling scrub and it smells very similiar to the bottle of perfume I ended up getting.

As far as other woodsy scents, the only other ones I've tried that *might* fit are Peach Mama and Apothecary. Peach Mama is peach (obviously), frankincense, styrax, labdanum and patchouli; though my poorly trained nose basically gets peach and patchouli. Its a good balance of both fruity and Earthy, though the peach comes out on me more over time. Apothecary is supposed to be cedar, rosemary, lemongrass, basil and lavender but all my skin gets is the lemongrass (and I hate lemongrass, so I might just be sensitive to it). And I complete agree with Liber Vix about Honey Tree; the deep, humid smelling top note is more than a bit off putting. Though, unlike her, I couldn't get past it.

Everything I've tried has good staying power for me. Samhain lasts forever on my skin but I was most surprised by Honeysuckle Lemon Curd which lasts much longer than I would have ever expected from a lemon scent and is easily my favorite lemon perfume (I'm not a floral person by any means but the honeysuckle just blends perfectly with the lemon).
Back to top Go down
debibob

debibob

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 12:29 am

tHANKS for the info. I suppose it is a chemistry thing and some things react better than others. I am wearing hex right now and I do love it.
Back to top Go down
Rob

Rob

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 9:39 am

SS- I have to second OfTheAllie's love of Samhain. It's really a GREAT scent! I also agree that it will remind you a bit of Foxcroft, but not nearly as green or complicated. It does stay on for hours and is probably my favorite of all the scents I've tried from them.

Another one I recently received was Plotter's Breakfast. If you're a lover of smoke, this is SMOKE. There's tons of it in the blend from tobacco smoke, wood smoke a just a hint of sweet from porridge. I'm really liking it too.

I really wanted to fall in love with Apothecary from the description, but sadly, it became a big NO NO for me. There's toooo much lemongrass in it and it pretty much cancels out any other subtle notes for me. I have this thing for lemongrass... I like it in very small amounts.. too much of it and YUK, it overpowers my nose.

I've tried other scents of theirs.. just little testers, and most of them don't work for me. They're a little too light, fruity and have notes in them I just don't like....although Matt & Britton are very talented, creative and lovely people!

I much prefer more darker, stronger and resinous scents. That's where my love of Solstice Scents comes from. Plus the fact, that Angela and I must have the same cloned nose, she's so spot on! Smile

Back to top Go down
Cats in the Cradle

Cats in the Cradle

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 7:46 am

Parkin and Gravity are my favorites. Plotters Breakfast, like Rob said, is smoke. I layer it with the Parkin so it's not so in your face. Both scents last a very long time on me.
Back to top Go down
SolsticeScholar

SolsticeScholar

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 10:19 am

Thanks for your recommendations, guys. Sadly Plotter's Breakfast is sold out! I've been unable to find anyone that has done a good review of Hedonic and I am worried about the honey note in that one, so I am still on the fence as to ordering. I'll just put that money into getting more from the SS winter collection. Smile
Back to top Go down
deer4

deer4

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 12:24 pm

a

Last edited by deer4 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
OfTheAllies

OfTheAllies

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 12:07 am

Now I wish that I had picked up a sample of Plotter's Breakfast, I love smokey scents!

I decided to give Haus of Gloi a try after reading a series of posts on the blog My Perfume Diaries. She gives Hedonic a, somewhat brief, but positive review here: http://myperfumediaries.blogspot.com/2011/09/haus-of-gloi-autumn-2011-reviews.html

Rob wrote:

I've tried other scents of theirs.. just little testers, and most of them don't work for me. They're a little too light, fruity and have notes in them I just don't like....although Matt & Britton are very talented, creative and lovely people!

This pretty much sums how I feel about Haus of Gloi. They make lovely products but most of their scents, while well crafted, are either fruity or foody; and that just isn't my thing (especially their fondness for coconut). Then again, I haven't found too many places that cater to my scent preferences - I suppose most people don't want to smell like a forest (thankfully, those of us who do have Solstice Scents!). This is why I love indie perfume/bath and body companies, there are so many wonderful artists expressing their points of view that eventually you'll find (at least) one that is is tailor made for you.

Last edited by OfTheAllies on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SolsticeScholar

SolsticeScholar

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 1:40 pm

Thank you, OfTheAllies! I will probably give Hedonic a go, but none of the other scents really appeal to me. And yes, I am so glad we have SS. Smile
Back to top Go down
StarSylvie

StarSylvie

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 8:22 pm

I heard of Haus of Gloi from a blogger who has a good fragrance blog. I bought Litchi Milk Tea perfume oil as a gift for one of my nieces and, of course, I tried it out as soon as I received it! I loved it. I mean, I loved it. But guess what? It lasted all of five minutes on me and then, GONE! Wha????? The order included a sample of Plotter's Breakfast (what an awesome name!). I really like it, and it lasted a lot longer than Litchi Milk Tea.

I'll definitely buy other scents from Haus of Gloi, and I might even buy Litchi Milk Tea--I guess I'll have to re-apply it frequently.

Last edited by StarSylvie on Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Solstice Scents
Admin
Solstice Scents

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 9:24 pm

StarSylvie wrote:
[b]I heard of Haus of Gloi from a blogger who has a good fragrance blog. I bought Litchi Milk Tea perfume oil as a gift for one of my nieces and, of course, I tried it out as soon as I received it! I loved it. I mean, I loved it. But guess what? It lasted all of five minutes on me and then, GONE! Wha????? The order included a sample of Plotter's Breakfast (what an awesome name!). I really like it, and it lasted a lot longer than Litchi Milk Tea.

I'll definitely buy other scents from Haus of Gloi, and I might even buy Litchi Milk Tea--I guess I'll have to re-apply it frequently.

Hello, my friend!! So happy to see you here! Very Happy

Have I not posted in this thread yet? Well, I'm a big fan of Samhain scrub. I don't have the perfume but I really enjoy it in the scrub form and have bought it several times. I also like the Pumpkin Queen Scrub a lot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.solsticescents.com
StarSylvie

StarSylvie

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 4:05 am

Solstice Scents! Been awhile! Thank you for welcoming me--I'd been meaning to get on here for ages, but had been crazy busy! Love your forum, chica! Thanks for the HoG recommendation. There are so many SS products I want! And I plan to get them, too! cheers
Back to top Go down
Kandee

Kandee

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 4:18 pm

I love Moon Dog,but my boyfriend says if I'm not wearing Vice I don't smell right Wink
Back to top Go down
SolsticeScholar

SolsticeScholar

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Solstice Scents wrote:
StarSylvie wrote:
[b]I heard of Haus of Gloi from a blogger who has a good fragrance blog. I bought Litchi Milk Tea perfume oil as a gift for one of my nieces and, of course, I tried it out as soon as I received it! I loved it. I mean, I loved it. But guess what? It lasted all of five minutes on me and then, GONE! Wha????? The order included a sample of Plotter's Breakfast (what an awesome name!). I really like it, and it lasted a lot longer than Litchi Milk Tea.

Hello, my friend!! So happy to see you here! Very Happy

Have I not posted in this thread yet? Well, I'm a big fan of Samhain scrub. I don't have the perfume but I really enjoy it in the scrub form and have bought it several times. I also like the Pumpkin Queen Scrub a lot.

Angela, oh no, don't tempt me! I have instead decided to just invest more in your Winter Collection. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jesse

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 12:21 am

I like HOG Moon Dog as well. The Haus scent profiles are very different from Solstice Scents; I have a healthy collection of each! I love Madcap Garden which morphs from green herbal to sweet honey, and Elevenses is a nice tea scent with orange.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Haus of Gloi? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haus of Gloi?   Haus of Gloi? Empty

Back to top Go down

Haus of Gloi?
Page 1 of 1